Bus services connect communities, helping support the growth of jobs and housing and enabling access to education, employment, healthcare, retail, leisure, onward national transport and more. They are vital to a successful economy and society.
Research from Greener Journeys shows that:
- Bus commuters generate £64 billion of benefits to the UK economy in goods and services
- Every year, bus users make 1.4 billion shopping trips and spend an estimated £27 billion on retail goods
- Every £1 invested in bus infrastructure can generate more than £8 of economic benefit
- Bus revenue funding delivers £3.70 of economic benefit for each £1 spent
- More than 1 in 10 (11%) of commuters would have to change jobs or leave the job market completely if bus services ceased to exist
- Buses help tackle congestion, which costs the UK economy at least £11 billion each year